Tuesday, February 5, 2008

All Good Things Must Come To An End


Following a delicious breakfast made by Uncle Danny of tarro and banana waffles with coconut syrup, fresh fruit, and coffee, we loaded up the rental car and headed south. This was the beginning of a long day of travel. The first leg of the trip was the hour long car ride beginning at 8:30 am to Lihue (prounounced Li-hooey) Airport where I had to say Aloha and good-bye to my wonderfully generous and gracious hosts, Dan and Susan. I simply don't have the words to express my thanks and gratitude enough... Mahalo & Nameste


After my arrival and check in at Lihue, I got to sit and wait for two hours until boarding my 30 minute flight to Honolulu where I got to sit and wait for another two hours... so far 4 hours spent sitting and waiting (are you keeping up with the math?) Fortunately I'm reading a good book so it didn't feel all that long.

At about 1:30 this afternoon (Hawaii time) I boarded the plane for the longest leg of my day... a 5 1/2 hour trip to PDX. Fortunately at check-in the ticketing agent asked if I was happy with my seat assignment, or if I'd like a different seat, and, since my original seat was in row 48 (as far back in the plane as a person can sit without being IN the toilet) I asked what she had available. She was able to re-assign me to row 14, just 4 rows back from first class. That was a nice treat since I really didn't want to spend an extra half hour just getting off the plane. The flight was relatively uneventful with only a little turbulence. I just closed my eyes and imagined driving through the potholed roads of Princeville and Hanalei. The in-flight movie was Bee Movie with Jerry Seinfeld... cute movie. Somewhere in mid-flight we lost 2 hours of time as we jumped ahead to Portland time.
As the plane landed right on time at PDX at 9:20 pm, the captain announced that it was 40 degrees and cloudy... Welcome to Portland! LuRae was waiting at the baggage claim area to give me a ride home (thanks, LuRae!), where I am now posting this final blog of my Hawaiian Adventure of 2008. Mahalo for joining me via this blog.
Aloha, and goodnight!
Gail

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Welcome Home, Gail! I'm glad you were able to go (thanks to Danny and Susan!) and I'm glad that your trip home was uneventful and I'm glad that you can now endure the rest of winter having been sustained by the....warmth (if not the sun!) of Hawaii!
Love,
Gwen